2009, November 9: November Madness: Jalen Rose’s Fab Five Food Finds
November 9, 2009
To make the occasion, we asked Jalen Rose, member of the University of Michigan’s legendary Fab Five team, to put on his restaurant critic hat and share a few of his favorite food finds from around the nation. The 13-year NBA veteran is now an ESPN/ABC studio analyst, and in his free time he can be found blogging, tweeting, Facebooking and YouTube-ing. Take it away, Jalen!
I wouldn’t consider myself a food critic, but during my years as a professional basketball player, I was lucky to travel the country and eat in many fine establishments. Below is a list of my Fab Five Foods and where you can find them. All of these dishes are original — I haven’t found another restaurant that prepares these items in the same way. If you get a chance to check them out, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do:
1. Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse (Chicago, IL) – Double Baked Potato… so good it’s bang is worth every buck – this is one big spud!
2. Philippe (Upper East Side New York, NY) – Maine Lobster Satay… lobster is my favorite dish and this is my favorite lobster on a stick… not only is the satay great, the peanut sauce is so good that you can almost drink it by itself!
3. Crustacean (Beverly Hills, CA) – Roasted Crab – Cracked Whole Roasted Dungeness Crab with a side of AN’s Famous Garlic Noodles… order this crab out of the shell and mix it with the noodles and you’ll enjoy one of the most popular meals among the Hollywood celebs!
4. Sweet Water Tavern (Detroit, MI) – Jumbo Fried Shrimp…. This is my hometown favorite and I can eat more than one order!
5. The Ritz Carlton (Coconut Grove, FL) – Grilled Chicken Wings… this is the only spot I’ve found that grills wings and they’re delicious!